Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Winter marches on...

After the spate of good weather 2 weekends ago, the winter weather returned. No sunshine from Singapore could change that. The rain returned, but temperatures still remained higher than before, though it's forecasted to drop sharply again this week.... The best part of our 4 days with Aunty A is the yummy home-cooked food we had. It brightened up the otherwise gloomy days.... this was what we had...

Thurs lunch: Sa Por Fun
Thurs dinner: Lamb chops
Fri lunch: Fried rice
Fri dinner: Black-pepper prawns
Sat lunch: Nonya prawn noodles
Sat dinner: more noodles and tauyu bak (drool)
Sun breakfast: Porridge 

ok... doesn't sound like much... but when you have not had good chinese food cooked by someone else for a long time... this was good! Not to forget the valuable tips I got watching and helping her. Oh, of course I learnt how to make sambal belachan!!! yums... I won't be missing home food anymore! That's all I need! How easy it is to make the sambal... just need to tahan the grilled belachan smell for a few hours. We were eating all the time. What better way to define a holiday than to eat right? Now, I have to double my exercise regime before she returns on Sunday.
Anyway, both the Ks really enjoyed having someone staying with us. They bonded very well with Aunty A. We went for walks by the river and in the forest (during the breaks in the rain), and drives to Eastbourne, Martinborough (wine country), Greytown and Carterton. Walked through small art galleries, hung out together, cooked together, and at night, the kids would arm themselves with their books, and rush in to her room when she did, shouting, "READ". Best person to ask to read to them, I reckon. The girls adored her, especially jie K. 

I really thank God for all our blessings. I'm amazed at how mei K has suddenly 'caught up' in her development of speech, and in understanding in the last month or so. As a parent of 2, I constantly find myself comparing the milestones of my 2 girls, not to compare who's better but really to know that the wee one is up to speed. I was worried initially at how much slower mei K was in picking up words, and she didn't seem to understand us, or we understand her. This made it very frustrating for both of us, and I must admit may have contributed to labeling her as being 'difficult'. Perhaps, I felt that being the 2nd child, I did spend a lot less one-on-one contact time with her, battled with a jealous older sibling, read and spoke less to her, and generally felt guilty that I didn't spend the same quantity and quality time I did with jie K. So the Lord has blessed us with family time here in NZ for me to accomplish this! Although, I sometimes feel that I'm not always making the best of my time, but I'm sure some of it is well used. Now, mei K can probably say up to 20 words, understands us mostly, sings some words and do the actions of familiar songs. Her best word now (as expected) is "NNNOOOOOO!", especially when her sister tries to take things away from her.  I no longer feel like I "can't handle her" (which I used to think), in fact I now enjoy watching the little munchkin grow, though not in stature (she still remains tiny for her age), develop a sense of humour, and a very cheeky smile(if only we can capture it on camera). 
I'm also very grateful that daddy K has realised that jie K is starting to need more father-daughter time now. The last month has been so hectic for him, even the weekends are spent doing work. Last night, while I was at netball training, they had a nice father-daughter talk. Daddy found out what makes her happy:
1) Chippies and french fries
2) Playing with toys especially boxes that she can store imaginary chippies in (see 1)
3) Playing with babies and pushing them around in prams
4) Having someone read her books to her.
5) Books.
He has said he wants to make the effort to read to her at night, and speaking her love language. (although I'm sure no. 1 is not the best thing...)

Exercise Log:
Last Monday am run
Time taken: 25 mins
Last Wed am run
Time taken: 40 mins
Route: usual including Palmer Cres
Mon am run
Time taken: 30 min

In 1 week, I've received news of 3 new pregnancies amongst my friends! 2009 sure will be a fruitful one!

2 comments:

Cheryl Lee said...

Aunty A's nonya prawn noodles very yummy! I had privilege of tasting it. So too are her popiahs! So envy you leh! *drool*

D said...

what's tauyu bak??
can you cook all you've learnt for us? I'm drooling as I read

so what's jie K's language of love?? Acts of Service (ie being read to?)