Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Netball crazy!

Netball... a sport I've long 'admired' but never had a chance to try... Now, being in NZ, netball is the biggest sport here, for girls, that is, only second to rugby of course. I've finally had a chance to try my hand at the game. Very different for me, it being a team sport, but all the same, ball skills and hand-eye-coordination are required. Maoribank. That's the team I'm in. We're playing in the Hutt Valley Netball Championships. Been for 2 training sesh. May not be ready for the real game yet... maybe I'll just be a bench-warmer this weekend, but the experience is just amazing. The quality of the game, at this level is quite high, being easily the shortest and maybe the 2nd smallest player will make it difficult for me. I like it though... for once, I'm one of the smallest!!! Even the jersey which I was given was size S, and it's too big for me!!! I like it here!!!

Only thing is, I'm a 'lil unfit... after a whole day of sitting around with the kids, watching them at the playground, at last mon sesh, I pulled a groin muscle... OUCH! After last 2 days of self-inflicting painful stretches and some self treatment, it's pretty much well now. Managed a run this morning. Pretty happy with my progress so far, keeping in mind my target for the end of the year.

Today also marked the first time I took the kids out of Upper Hutt. Took a 30 min drive (think Bukit Batok to Simei with no traffic) to Lower Hutt. We went to one of the biggest shopping centres in NZ(so say the guidebooks), Westfield (Queensgate). Before you imagine anything like the malls back home, this 'mega-mall' is 3 levels, with the top level being the cinema... So 2 levels of shops, each level maybe just the size of Park Mall. Still, not bad for NZ, and being in a suburb. Can't complain. Best thing was, there's an indoor playground for the kids!!! Best thing for the rain storms we've had over the last 2 days. i thought it only rained like that in the tropics! Well, I'm also learning not to read the weather by looking into the sky. I've been played out by the fine weather more than 3 times now, having left my laundry in the sunny cloudless weather, only to regret it when I'm too far away to turn around... Someone adviced that jere in Wellington, you have to be prepared. You can experience all 4 seasons in  single day. 

How's that for unpredictable!

Morning Run
Time: 30mins
Route: Miro street8 Martin Street 8 Fergusson




2 comments:

Cheryl Lee said...

way to go denise! by the time u come home, not only are u svelte and fit; you'll prob be such a pro at netball that you can join our sgp team! ;) Better than the 'lao lang' here who sprains her ageing ankles! hehe...sounds like u're enjoying NZ!

胡老怪 said...

I walk or jog along roadside near my house. Used to walk along the green patch of grass but now they are all filled with construction of new flats. The feeling is of course different. But I always make use of the exercise time to pray as well. Keep it up Denise! Some photos of u & family?