Tuesday, May 6, 2008

1st day of school...

Thanks to all who have been praying for us. Che K is probably one of the few who has been able to jump the waiting list for school, and she attended her first day of school today! Thank God for that. She attends Trentham Kindergarten. The system here is really different. Kindergarten here is only for 3-4 year-olds, and it's provided free for all living in NZ, even if it's just for a short spell like us. The 3 year-olds start going 3 days a week for 2 hrs each day. All they do each time is to play and play and play. There are maybe 2 teachers and 2 helpers for close to 30 kids (though not all 30 turn up each day). They are supervised (somewhat), just to make sure they don't eat the dough, or injure themselves in the playground etc... The teacher told me it's more to familiarise the kids to being at school before they turn 4, when a more structured programme is then used. Perhaps I'm just brought up in such a structured society, where everything done must have a purpose and structure, with goals set for either the teacher or the child to meet, this system is just too radical for me. Most Singaporean parents would probably think this is a waste of time, and if money was involved, waste of money too. While the fact that kids learn best through play is true, I just feel it needs to be guided play, where an adult explains and teaches things while playing. Well, I'm obviously a product of the 'rigid' Singapore education system. 

Oh well, that aside, che K really enjoyed herself in school today, which is more important than anything else. To my surprise, she stayed by herself for the 2 hours without much complaint. Thank God for that. I managed to hold mei K's nap off till the afternoon, so I got about 1 hour plus to myself. I've never appreciated time alone for myself like that before. So many things I can do... but I must remind myself to keep this time for the Lord. 

Mon am run:
Time: 35 mins
Route: Ararino St 8 Messines Ave 8 Fergusson Dr

No comments: