Sunday, May 18, 2008

1st netball match!

Played for the first time yesterday! Only for 1 half... but that was quite good enough. What an experience! My first ever competitive netball match. I think I might not have done much good to the team being on the court as WA for 1 quarter, then WD for the next quarter, but the coach said that I played alright for my first time on court. Perhaps if I had stayed off the court, they would have kept their 2 goal lead at half-time:P But who knows... the shooters were quite tired at the end, and they lost quite a number of the balls. 
Well, looking forward to more court time now...

Papa K is away. Left for Auckland today, and back on Thursday. I'm really glad that I've established a routine for the kids with most days packed with activities. Makes the day go by quicker. Today was great. Che K was so cooperative at dinner, she fed herself, and helped me to oversee mei K while they played in the garden. Mei K also liked dinner today, and was one of the rare meals where I was not fighting with her to sit and eat her meal... sigh... gives me such pressure to prepare yummy meals for them. I must say, though, that I think my cooking seems to be improving, although, I still stand in front of the freezer everyday and wonder "what on earth should I cook today?" My repertoire of dishes only stretches so far. Eating everyday for so many weeks, really challenges my creativity. On top of that, the limited availability, or rather the extraordinary premium you have to pay for asian spices, and the rarity of things like pork bones and fresh fish, and even prawns(!), makes it more difficult. Up till today, the only stir-fried veg I've cooked is with oyster sauce or just with garlic and soy sauce... Of course my loving husband says it's his fav veg, and truth be told, I've never really seen him eat that much veg before... I'm the one getting bored with cooking the same styled veg just with different types of vegetables! I also stumbled upon a traditional Maori dish called 'Boiled up' on my own quite by accident. I saw some pork bones in the supermarket, which was labelled at 'bacon bones'. Not quite knowing what the difference was, I bought it thinking that I could use it to make soup with water cress which we got from the weekend market. After making the soup the first time, I realised that the bones were actually smoked, and gave the whole soup a bacon-y taste, which was alright as I'd thrown in carrots and potatoes as well, it was very tasty, albeit a little salty. Yesterday, we had a netball team potluck, and our coach made that traditional Maori dish especially for us to try, and what do you know, it was exactly like the soup I had made twice in the last 2 weeks! Her soup had pumpkin and celery, I think, on top of what I had put in, boiled till there was much less soup than mine, but the overall taste was the same! 

Will try and update with pics on special dishes I do here. 
For now, it's just cooking to please the little one...

5 comments:

D said...

yummy. u're making me drool. I can't wait to try your maori dish! :)

and cooking to please means you're gonna be a damn good chef when you're back.. again I can't wait!!!

Cheryl Lee said...

how abt simple fare like macaroni cheese? Your girls like cheese? My fren taught me the simplest way - put some butter in bowl then pour hot pasta on it, add a slice of cheese and stir quickly and ta dah! macaroni cheese! Can add some fresh milk if u like so not so dry and sticky...;)

胡老怪 said...

I put red dates and wolfberries on top of vegetables and steam it as a simple dish. Can dip with oyster sauce if you find it too plain. My friend taught me to put some butter on cauliflower and steam it. But I never try it cos Caleb can't eat. Not very sure whether its nice. But just to let you know. Do you know how to make whipped potato sauce? Can u teach me. I think you noe many western dishes rite?

Cindy said...

Try corn,potatoes,carrots porridge.Cook till very soft...good for kids and old people with no teeth....hee hee if you can get anchovives to bowl and use the soup for the porridge will be nice.....ha ha ha

Munch bunch said...

hey thanks all of you for your suggestions... yes i'll certainly try these... that anchovies porridge sounds good, and the mac and cheese too. sorry xp, not sure how to make the whipped potato sauce. I usually just look up my recipes online. Hope you are all well!