Monday, June 16, 2008

Totally weaned... finally!

Yes! As of last week, I'm officially not mei K's cow anymore!!! As a grand old age of 16 months, I've finally managed to wean her off the breast during the night, and we are all getting much better sleep now! It took a whole week to get to this... a whole week of sleepless nights for all of us including che K. Che was waking up in the middle of the night crying and screaming, perhaps having night terrors, but definitely woken up by mei's cries which sometimes lasted up to an hour! After 3 nights, I was ready to throw in the towel. The disturbed sleep I was getting nursing her through the night seemed much better. At least it was sleep, and I was the only one who was disturbed. It first started out as trying to get her to go to sleep by herself, and to be independent of us throughout the night. However, our ever agile mei K was just to smart for us, and climbed out of her portacot several times, falling down on 2 occasions. So, we decided to just sit by her cot just to ensure she doesn't fall out, but to let her cry herself to sleep. That really didn't work. It just made everyone in the house so highly strung and grouchy from the lack of sleep. Che K was acting up in the day, being moody and just not talking to anyone. So we lost that battle... But the good thing that came out of it was that she had already gone for 3 nights without nursing! So I persisted another 3 nights on my own in a separate room with mei tugging and pinching and pulling at my tits every 45 mins or so... Again, after 1 week, I was ready to surrender. But, I thank agony aunt C who encouraged me to press on... and I did for 1 more night. That night, I won! Every time mei woke up that night, she just tossed, turned, found my arm, then promptly fell back to sleep without a whimper. Hallelujah! 

Exercise log:
Tuesday am run
Time: 20 min
Route: Ararino St   Messines Ave 8   Fergusson Dr

Thurs am run
Time: 20 min
Route: as above

Fri am run
Time: 30 min
Route: Fergusson Dr  8   Palmer Cr  8   Messines Ave 8   Ararino St

Sunday am run
Time: 50 min
Route: Moonshine Rd 8   Moonshine Park 8   Trentham Memorial Park  8   Fergusson Dr

3 comments:

Cheryl Lee said...

Yeah! You survived! You made it! You did it! You deserve a pat on your back and lots of hugs to have persevered and hang on long enough for the breakthrough to come! Finally can sleep uninterrupted. So proud of you!:)

eh 1 more thing hor, Che C Not Aunt C ok? hiak hiak hiak!

D said...

hmm... didn't realised it can be that hard to wean off the cow... i thought it was just the decision to stop feeding...

elespace said...

Freedom!!!! Wah, weaning off sounds really difficult....Now you can sleep well lo...hahah